Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tevez haunts my dreams..


Damn you Carlos Tevez. You're so damn good and I knew you would come out today and make United pay. I just had a feeling. Watching you terrorize the back line and Van der Saar all throughout the first half, I became increasingly nervous that Giggs early goal was not going to hold up.

Sure enough, after a questionable penalty call, you showed a United side that has struggled with form all season what they could have had. You were one of my favorite players when you played in Old Trafford. Your constant hard-work wasn't overlooked by fans like myself. Why Sir Alex sat you most of last year was something I never quite understood, but it also helped me understand why you left.

You live for moments like today. And I know, I just know that you are going to haunt United for the next couple years. Especially as the walls around Old Trafford begin to crumble under massive debt.

However, United did play better than they have recently. They were dominant in the first half. The mid-field played exceptionally well. But the most nerve-racking thing about this year's edition of the Red Devils is their consistently injured and sub-par back line and utter reliance on Wayne Rooney for all offensive opportunities.

Kids like Rafael will learn, but the learning curve in the EPL is steep. Obertan has potential, but is still very raw. The bridge of talent from the Scholes and Giggs of the world to the young kids is a shaky one, especially when it seems that big money transfers are going to be a thing of the past as the Glazers try to single-handedly destroy one of the most storied football clubs in the world.

Now United needs to either win 2-1 in the second leg of the semi-final or have a clean sheet against City in Old Trafford.

If today is any indication, the Argentine may not only beat United, but he may keep them from any trophies this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment